Frequently Asked Questions
How do we get to the Mondulkiri Project when we have arrived in Cambodia?
Mondulkiri is only a five hour minivan ride from Phnom Penh in Cambodia’s east. It is 10 hours from Siem Reap, and 3-4 hours from Kratie and Ratanakiri. If you are in a rush you can hire a private taxi from Sen Monorom to get back to Phnom Penh on the same day your tour ends (cost is approximately $80). It is also possible to do the two day tour in 1.5 days (trek first day, 1/2 day elephants second day) so that you can catch the minivan back to Phnom Penh at 1pm.
Why should I choose to see elephants or book a tour with the Mondulkiri Project?.
- Our tours are located in some of the best jungle close to Sen Monorom.
- We have three elephants at our sanctuary.
- We are Cambodian owned and operated.
- We have Sen Monorom’s only lodge in the jungle. Our Jungle Lodge provides a good place for lunch, to relax during our elephant adventure tour or to stay during your overnight trip.
- On our tours you get to swim with elephants and wash them in the river to help prevent skin infections on the elephants.
- You will see and learn about elephant habits and their close relationship to the Bunong indigenous people
- No elephant riding
- We use Bunong guides who have grown up living in the jungle you will be trekking through.
Where does my money go?
Your trekking money goes towards renting the forest you will visit for the next thirty years. This prevents logging and habitat destruction in this area. No other treks you will book in Sen Monorom rent a forest from the Bunong hill tribe people.
So you will be helping to conserve a forest which is now providing economically and ecologically sustainable income for the local elephant owners and Bunong people. We pay monthly wages, pay medical bills and provide food for our Bunong guides and mahouts and their families.
Most of our money goes to buying elephants so they can live a long and happy life. We also rent elephants from some owners to keep these elephants in our sanctuary. The elephants you will see at the Mondulkiri Project are no longer used for elephant rides or heavy farm work.
Do we need to book?
Yes you need to book a tour. Please email us. It is best to book 1-2 weeks in advance to ensure you get the tour dates you want. Sometimes we are fully booked so the earlier you book the better your chance of getting the tour dates you want.
How do we pay?
Please pay in US dollars at the start of your trip. Sen Monorom has two atm machines on the main road that accepts Visa Card and Mastercard.
Why should I visit Sen Monorom during my Cambodian holiday?
- Most of Cambodia is extremely hot – the weather in Sen Monorom is lovely. You do not need a fan at night
- Cities such as Phnom Penh and Siem Reap are very crowded.
- Sen Monorom has very few tourists and is an ideal place to relax
- Sen Monorom is close to Vietnam so you can try delicious Vietnamese food in the market.
- New express minivans make Sen Monorom a comfortable 5 hour journey from Phnom Penh
- Jungle Treks with the Mondulkiri Project
- Elephant Adventures with the Mondulkiri Project
Terms and Conditions
I understand that activities with elephants and trekking through the jungle, by their very nature, involve risks and dangers. I assume all responsibility and do NOT hold Mondulkiri Project, its owners, staff or management responsible whatsoever for any loss, injury or death to my person or property during the tour. I participate in all activities at my own risk. These terms and conditions apply for every person for whom I booked the tour.